[wp-hackers] Class for WP-Admin Menus

chuckg at blindmuse.com chuckg at blindmuse.com
Thu Aug 5 02:43:18 UTC 2004

Owen Wrote:
> There are a couple of thoughts I have on the plugin.  The first one is
> that it won't work on the Plugins page because plugins don't work on the
> Plugins page.  My second thought is that you ought to look at WP 1.3 CVS
> code.

Believe it or not, all this code was tested and developed under a 1.3
environment.  Once I had it written and all set to go, I then tested it
under 1.2 to verify that it had backwards compatability.  So the short
answer is, yes, it's good to go for the next release.

> I really like the idea of adding SUB-menus to the admin area, though.  Too
> many plugins clutter my main menu with junk that I'd rather see in a
> submenu under options.

The main purpose of this plugin is to handle submenu's.  The reason I
added the "main menu" stuff to it is that I figured others might want to
use it.  Really, I don't think it's ever really acceptable to modify that
menu.  What's really cool is that the CSS for WP-Admin will handle the
extra menu's on the fly, there's no need to modify it whatsoever.  So in
the case where an author adds one too many options to the "options" area,
it won't actually hurt the CSS. It should  be noted that the class
defaults to the "submenu" option.

> As far as licensing goes, I don't think that "Creative Commons" is a valid
> license type for three reasons.  Firstly, Creative Commons is not (as far
> as I could tell by looking at the GPL site) GPL compatible, as all
> WordPress plugins are required to be.

That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.  I know nothing of
all this licensing stuff, and that's the reason I ask.  Really, all I'm
looking for is a word that some of my code was used in the plugin.  Not so
much in the description to users, but perhaps just as an aside; that's
all.  I don't think that's too greedy is it?

chuckg