[wp-hackers] Class for WP-Admin Menus

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Aug 5 02:25:25 UTC 2004

> The cg_adminMenu class is basically a method for adding both new links
> to pre-existing menu's (in the case of adminmenu *the main links* or
> adminmenu2 *the smaller, page specific links*) or to create a
> "submenu" on pages that do not have it.

In all, this is an interesting implementation for adding new menu options
under WP 1.2.  It certainly makes it easier.

There are a couple of thoughts I have on the plugin.  The first one is that
it won't work on the Plugins page because plugins don't work on the Plugins
page.  My second thought is that you ought to look at WP 1.3 CVS code.  Your
plugin might still work with the next release, but you should really see how
it works.

I really like the idea of adding SUB-menus to the admin area, though.  Too
many plugins clutter my main menu with junk that I'd rather see in a submenu
under options.

As far as licensing goes, I don't think that "Creative Commons" is a valid
license type for three reasons.  Firstly, Creative Commons is not (as far as
I could tell by looking at the GPL site) GPL compatible, as all WordPress
plugins are required to be.  Secondly, the last time I checked, Creative
Commons shouldn't be used to license software/code
(http://creativecommons.org/faq#faq_entry_3646).  Thirdly, even Creative
Commons licenses have conditions from which you have to pick
(http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/), such as "Share Alike" and
"Attribution", so you can't simply license as "Creative Commons".

Instead, I recommend simply licensing under the GPL, or if you like the
Attribution condition of Creative Commons, release under the MIT License,
which is GPL-compatible and might be more to your liking. (Check out:
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html)

Hope this has been helpful.

Owen