[bbDev] BB & WP together

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Sun Aug 7 20:01:26 GMT 2005

You shouldn't be changing anything in bb-settings.php.  Everything
you'd need to change there is wrapped with if statements, so you can
preempt those settings by setting them in bb-config.php.

Currently, combining cookies is only easy if your WP site and your bb
site are on the same domain (i.e. NOT different subdomains).  My
setup is as follows:

http://example.com/ - Current WP SVN (it should work for WP1.5, but I
haven't tried it)
http://example.com/bb/ - Current bb SVN
My WP install has $table_prefix = 'wp_', my bb install has
$table_prefix = 'bb_'.

In bb-config.php, I pasted the following below the gmt_offset line
and above the Stop Editing line.

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

$myhash = md5('http://example.com'); // No trailing slash.  This
should be WP's 'siteurl', which can be easily found by browsing to wp-
admin/options.php.

$bb->usercookie = 'wordpressuser_' . $myhash;
$bb->passcookie = 'wordpresspass_' . $myhash;
$bb->cookiepath = '/';

My bbPress site now draws users from my WP tables and logging in/out
works seamlessly since the cookies are the same.

You could also define CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLE.  You'll have to decide
what's best for your particular setup.  WP1.5 doesn't have a usermeta
table, so if you're trying to do WP1.5+bb, you'll want to keep
drawing usermeta from bb.

Other things that should be possible that I haven't tried:
     Combine multiple bb sites by customizing one site's users and
usermeta tables and its cookies.  See bb-settings.php for what bb
cookies normally look like.
     Combine WP and bb by customizing WP's cookies and users and
usermeta tables so that WP draws from bb. (only possible with current
SVN of WP)
     Combine multiple WPs by customizing one install's cookies and
user tables.

Those last two possibilities won't be discussed here, though; they're
WP issues.

Oh - and bbPress is _still_ alpha software.  Things may/likely will
break.  Don't take it live or meld it with a live WP install unless
you're willing to risk all your data going away.  (The same could be
said of the current SVN copy of WP.)

Michael
--mdawaffe