[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61319: Plugin Dependencies: Change AJAX activation handler to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 30 03:28:28 UTC 2024

#61319: Plugin Dependencies: Change AJAX activation handler to restore auto-
redirect after plugin activation
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by kevinwhoffman):

 Compared to #61269, the benefit of this approach is that it would restore
 a direct path to onboarding without requiring plugin authors to 1) be
 aware of a new filter and 2) release a plugin update that implements the
 new filter. However this direct path via redirect is also one that takes
 control away from the user and goes against established usability
 heuristics described in comment:37:ticket:61040.

 **Question**

 Assuming 6.5.4 restores the previous redirect behavior implemented via
 `register_activation_hook`, is core willing to take steps to prevent these
 redirects in 6.6+ when an onboarding framework is introduced?

 **If no, core is not willing to prevent redirects in the future...**

 Then we are signaling that post-activation redirects are coming back to
 stay. Plugin authors will be disincentivized to adopt a future onboarding
 framework that gives control back to the user through a workflow like
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60992#comment:53 Install >
 Activate > Configure] or
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61040#comment:42 Install &
 Activate > Open]. As long as users can be forced into an onboarding flow
 without a choice, then it is in the commerical interest of many plugins to
 continue forcing redirects.

 **If yes, core is willing to prevent redirects future...**

 Then we would be making the right long-term decision for users, but we
 should also be aware of the impact of changing behavior so much within
 such a short period of time. We would be setting up a potential timeline
 like the following:

 6.5 - Redirects are broken
 6.5.3 - Redirects are kind of restored through the admin notice refresh
 6.5.4 - Redirects work again like they used to before 6.5
 6.6+ - Redirects no longer work at all because a new onboarding framework
 is in place that requires a filter to be implemented

 **Recommendation**

 I believe this fix is in the best short-term interest of users and plugin
 developers ''in lieu of a standardized onboarding flow''. This fix will
 quickly restore a path to onboarding that plugin developers and users
 depend on. However, I would also suggest that restoring redirects is
 framed as a temporary fix until an onboarding framework is in place, and
 that we set expectations for plugin developers that forcing redirects is
 not a long-term solution.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61319#comment:18>