[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin activation

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 24 11:44:33 UTC 2024

#61269: Plugin Dependencies: Add filter to restore auto-redirect after plugin
activation
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by costdev):

 Note that the impact of removing the redirect in 6.5 was not just on
 onboarding experiences, but also on plugin menu items not being loaded.
 This ticket mentions "onboarding | set up | configure", not just
 onboarding. This filter in 6.5.4 could therefore be used to direct a user
 to the plugin's main URL, the settings URL, the onboarding URL, or any
 other URL. We just don't know what is the most appropriate URL for all
 plugins.

 Also note that the plugin author may ''change the URL'' depending on what
 they want to provide at various points of tracking state. They may even
 have states that mean providing "onboarding", "settings", and "main" URL
 at different stages of setup, or on a ''subsequent'' activation where
 onboarding shouldn't be provided (such as on reactivation after debugging,
 or updating the plugin).

 Therefore, to choose one of the suggested names for the parameter now
 would mean only communicating one use case or behaviour, and I think it's
 best that we allow plugin authors to make the decision about what the URL
 should be and when.

 If it's strongly desired to change the parameter's name, keep the above in
 mind when brainstorming alternative names.

 In terms of communication, I agree that we should make it clear that the
 array's contents may be extended as the experience evolves. We should
 however be confident that this URL parameter will remain in place, with
 the name at the time of commit, for the foreseeable future. **If** we
 don't have that confidence in the name now, then I agree we should rename
 it - again, with the above considerations in mind.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61269#comment:29>