[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61521: feature request: Conditional that checks whether WordPress is currently performing updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 27 14:33:42 UTC 2024

#61521: feature request: Conditional that checks whether WordPress is currently
performing updates
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  redsoulwarrior   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:  6.5.5
 Severity:  minor            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 We've all been there; we select a bunch of plugins and update them all at
 once, the update process is starting and then one of the installed plugins
 is showing us some note in the backend like "learn more about the pro
 version of this plugin" or "a new plugin has been installed; purge the
 cache" or something similar.

 In some cases, you can simply dismiss these notices and it won't affect
 anything. In others, clicking on the notice will take you to a different
 page.

 In the worst case scenario, the update process is now stuck and the
 .maintenance file will never leave your web host unless you delete it
 manually via FTP.

 My suggestion would be adding a conditional in the WordPress core that
 returns true while updates are being performed. This way, developers could
 check for said conditional and make sure that their little tooltips are
 only being displayed AFTER all updates have been concluded. So WordPress
 won't get stuck, even for novice users who haven't made this mistake 40
 million times (like myself).