[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61476: mediaelement.js fails to rewind audio file when forwarding audio with AirPlay from iPhone to Mac

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 20 10:52:50 UTC 2024

#61476: mediaelement.js fails to rewind audio file when forwarding audio with
AirPlay from iPhone to Mac
 Reporter:  f26d          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Follow these steps to reproduce:

 - Have an iPhone and a Mac (I'm running iOS 17.5.1 and macOS Sonoma 14.5)
 - Forward audio from your phone to your Mac using AirPlay
 - Have a blog post containing an audio shortcode
 - Open the blog post in Safari on your phone and play the audio. The audio
 should play on your Mac.
 - When the audio has finished playing, the scrubber bar will try to rewind
 to the start, but it will get stuck and glitch along the way.

 I debugged this problem to understand why it happens. When the audio file
 has finished playing and the `ended` event fires, mediaelement.js rewinds
 the player to time=0. This happens because of the `autoRewind` option,
 which is true by default (we don't modify the default). But somehow, the
 AirPlay connection won't let the audio file rewind, which causes the
 glitch.