[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59365: Deprecated notice when calling get_admin_page_title() on some dashboard pages.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 10 19:32:10 UTC 2024

#59365: Deprecated notice when calling get_admin_page_title() on some dashboard
pages.
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  apedog                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:6 apedog]:
 > The issue indeed was caused by a plugin registering a settings page.
 >
 > More specifically,
 > I had used `get_admin_page_title()` as the `$title` parameter in
 `add_settings_section()`. In hindsight, this is obviously wrong, as it
 would register a different title depending on the page being visited.
 However it would only ''print'' the title when I was on the correct
 settings page, so I thought nothing of it - less static strings for me to
 keep track of.

 Aha, that makes sense. `add_settings_section()` needs the title you want
 to appear in that settings page section. Pass it as a `string` or
 translatable string (e.g. through `__()`).

 > >Can you please confirm if the deprecation notice is being thrown on the
 Tools and Plugins admin page please?
 > Yes, the notice would appear on built-in core pages such as Tools and
 Plugins.

 That makes now too. Thank you for confirming.

 > This worked fine up until I migrated to PHP 8+. I promptly fixed the
 "upstream" problem in my own plugin - and submitted the ticket at that
 time.

 It should still work fine with PHP 8, as it's a deprecation notice rather
 than a Warning or Fatal Error. Glad you got it fixed in your plugin.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59365#comment:7>