[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode() functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 30 15:13:59 UTC 2022

#55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode()
functions
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 Reporter:  jrf                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task (blessed)           |      Status:  new

Comment (by jrf):

 Hi @ayeshrajans Thanks for your input.

 I did consider the Symfony polyfills, but as the Symfony polyfills have a
 minimum requirement of PHP 7.1 and the MbString extensions has been a
 recommended extension via WP Site Health for quite a while, I think
 requiring the extension should be the preferred option.

 To me, the PHP 7.1 requirement is a blocker as that would mean that WP
 would have to use an old version of the polyfills which will not get any
 updates, which is asking for trouble.
 As for raising the minimum PHP version of WP, that's a whole other
 discussion and I have little hope of that happening in time for the
 release of PHP 8.2.

 Other than that: Symfony polyfills is licensed under the MIT license and
 I'm not sure how well that plays together with the WordPress GPL license.
 That would need some advise from legal.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55603#comment:4>