[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55742: In Safari Browser, when we click on preview in new tab then it opens a page/post in same tab

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 20 15:31:35 UTC 2022

#55742: In Safari Browser, when we click on preview in new tab then it opens a
page/post in same tab
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  kmadhak         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by sabernhardt):

 Technically it is not always a new tab, but it opens a named preview frame
 for that post (for example, `target="wp-preview-70"`). If you have unsaved
 changes in one tab, you would not want to make other changes in another
 tab and lose the earlier changes. However, Chrome and Edge seem to ignore
 that in the editor, opening the preview in a new tab anyway.

 The same `target` value has been used for the Classic Editor preview
 link—and in the admin toolbar—before using it in the block editor. To
 avoid confusion, the block editor link text might be revised to "open in a
 preview tab" or something similar. I also question whether the Edit Post
 link belongs in the toolbar when previewing a post.

 Related: #20233

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55742#comment:1>