[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55717: aria-hidden="true" attribute in comment template for visible text (required fields)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 18 07:10:39 UTC 2022

#55717: aria-hidden="true" attribute in comment template for visible text (required
fields)
---------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  juliemoynat                |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by juliemoynat):

 I don't think it makes sense to hide the symbol if the result is the total
 absence of vocalization of it. As I told it in my very first message,
 screen readers are not used by blind people only. This is not a decorative
 symbol: it makes sense.

 About this and about the fact of having the asterisk outside from the
 label, I forgot an argument from Romain Gervois (and it seems that this
 idea can also be found in [https://adrianroselli.com/2017/02/not-all-
 screen-reader-users-are-blind.html#Risk an article by Adrian Roselli]): if
 you try to bring assistance to a blind person with this form and talk
 about an asterisk, it would not be understood/found. In this case, we can
 imagine that this is not a blocking point because we have the label but we
 can sometimes find anything and everything in themes.

 We could also imagine to have this for the sentence at the top of the
 form:

 {{{Required field are marked <span role="img" aria-
 label="asterisk">*</span>.}}}

 The advantage of naming the character at first is that everybody will know
 that this is how it is named in code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55717#comment:11>