[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55321: Adding new themes in releases without a global theme auto-update setting renders installations insecure

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 15 14:19:21 UTC 2022

#55321: Adding new themes in releases without a global theme auto-update setting
renders installations insecure
-------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  bertvandepoel      |       Owner:  pbiron
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by pbiron):

 The reason I milestoned this for consideration in 6.0 is the following:

 1. a site running WP 5.8.3 already has an active theme
 2. they update to 5.9 (possibly even via an auto-update)
 3. unbeknownst to the site owner/admin, that update installed another
 theme

 I agree that the fact that people modify themes directly is a concern.
 But I also think that WP installing new bundled themes without explicit
 consent of the site owner/admin is a reason to **consider** enabling auto-
 updates for those new bundled themes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55321#comment:10>