[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55342: If the contextual help panel is open and then I scroll, I have to click on help twice to close the panel

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 8 16:04:51 UTC 2022

#55342: If the contextual help panel is open and then I scroll, I have to click on
help twice to close the panel
 Reporter:  mikecho       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Help/About    |    Version:  5.9.1
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui            |
 Steps to reproduce:
 1. click "Help" to open a contextual help panel
 2. scroll
 3. click "Help" to close the panel; note that it does not close
 4. click "Help" again; note that it does close this time

 This is annoying for the user--can this be solved so that it only takes
 one click to close the contextual help after scrolling?

 In our plugin, we are using enough contextual help on one page that you
 have to scroll to reach the "Help" button (#contextual-help-link") to
 close it again.

 Further notes: I have a live expression for document.activeElement in the
 console. On the first attempt to close the section, the
 document.activeElement shows:

 {{{
 button#contextual-help-link.button.show-settings.screen-meta-active
 }}}

 on the second, click it shows:

 {{{
 button#contextual-help-link.button.show-settings
 }}}

 More info:
 happens in several tested themes (2022, 2021, 2020)
 happens when all plugins are deactivated
 Chrome/Edge/Firefox, Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04