[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55328: PHP warning on rename() inside download_url() in /wp-admin/includes/file.php

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 7 12:34:54 UTC 2022

#55328: PHP warning on rename() inside download_url() in /wp-
admin/includes/file.php
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  devbd           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Filesystem API  |    Version:  5.9
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hi, I struggle with the following warning on my WordPress site (version
 5.9.0 and currently 5.9.1) whenever I update the plugins:

 {{{
 PHP Warning: rename(/tmp/plugin-name.tmp,plugin-name.plugin-version.zip):
 Permission denied in /wp-admin/includes/file.php on line 1201, referer:
 siteURL/wp-admin/plugins.php
 }}}

 The warning is triggered by rename() function inside download_url()in /wp-
 admin/includes/file.php on line 1201. It's been logged on the site since
 support for Content-Disposition filename was added in WP 5.9:
 developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/download_url/ The warning is
 also getting logged in WP 5.9.1.

 My site uses ftpext filesystem and I believe this is why 'permission
 denied' warning is triggered. The plugins update successfully, with no
 other issues, however, the above warning is logged every single time.
 Would it be possible to exclude Content-Disposition filename support if
 website uses ftpext filesystem method?