[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56112: Allow remote pattern registration in theme.json when core patterns are disabled

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 30 13:06:48 UTC 2022

#56112: Allow remote pattern registration in theme.json when core patterns are
disabled
 Reporter:  ndiego       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor       |    Version:  6.0
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 Fixes: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/41282

 In 6.0 we now have functionality that allows you to register selected
 remote patterns (from the Pattern Directory) via theme.json. While this is
 great, it requires you to fully enable all core and remote patterns. This
 can be a blocker to adoption.

 Many theme authors want to have all core and remote patterns disabled by
 default using remove_theme_support( 'core-block-patterns' ). This ensures
 they are serving only patterns relevant to their theme to
 customers/clients.

 This PR/Trac ticket removes the theme support and remote filter checks
 from the function that registers remote patterns specified in theme.json.
 This allows theme authors to disable core patterns but then selectively
 register the ones they want from the Pattern Directory. We assume that if
 a theme author intentionally specifies patterns in theme.json, they intend
 for them to be present in the pattern inserter and the checks are not
 required.

 This change will make the Pattern Directory more appealing/usable from the
 theme author's perspective.

 Note, that while this issue is technically not a "bug", it is a pretty
 large blocker for Pattern Directory adoption and I feel should be
 considered for 6.0.1.