[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56017: Check the required PHP extensions during WordPress installation and updates
noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 22 08:49:00 UTC 2022
#56017: Check the required PHP extensions during WordPress installation and updates
Reporter: SergeyBiryukov | Owner: (none)
Type: task (blessed) | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone: 6.1
Component: Upgrade/Install | Version:
Severity: normal | Resolution:
Keywords: | Focuses:
Comment (by JavierCasares):
This has always been a big discussion in the Hosting Team.
extensions WordPress Handbook PHP extensions]
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.json.php json]
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.mysqli.php mysqli] /
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.curl.php curl] – Performs remote
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.dom.php dom] – Used to validate Text
Widget content and to automatically configure IIS7+.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.exif.php exif] – Works with metadata
stored in images.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.fileinfo.php fileinfo] – Used to
detect mimetype of file uploads.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.hash.php hash] – Used for hashing,
including passwords and update packages.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.imagick.php imagick] – Provides
better image quality for media uploads. See WP_Image_Editor for details.
Smarter image resizing (for smaller images) and PDF thumbnail support,
when Ghost Script is also available.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.mbstring.php mbstring] – Used to
properly handle UTF8 text.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.openssl.php openssl] – Permits SSL-
based connections to other hosts.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.pcre.php pcre] – Increases
performance of pattern matching in code searches.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.xml.php xml] – Used for XML parsing,
such as from a third-party site.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.zip.php zip] – Used for
decompressing Plugins, Themes, and WordPress update packages.
Fallbacks or optional:
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.bc.php bc] – For arbitrary precision
mathematics, which supports numbers of any size and precision up to
2147483647 decimal digits.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.filter.php filter] – Used for
securely filtering user input.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.image.php image] – If Imagick isn’t
installed, the GD Graphics Library is used as a functionally limited
fallback for image manipulation.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.iconv.php iconv] – Used to convert
between character sets.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.intl.php intl] – Enable to perform
locale-aware operations including but not limited to formatting,
transliteration, encoding conversion, calendar operations, conformant
collation, locating text boundaries and working with locale identifiers,
timezones and graphemes.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.simplexml.php simplexml] – Used for
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.sodium.php sodium] – Validates
Signatures and provides securely random bytes.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.xmlreader.php xmlreader] – Used for
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.zlib.php zlib] – Gzip compression
File changes (depends on hosting):
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.ssh2.php ssh2] – Provide access to
resources (shell, remote exec, tunneling, file transfer) on a remote
machine using a secure cryptographic transport.
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.ftp.php ftp] – Implement client
access to files servers speaking the File Transfer Protocol (FTP).
- [https://www.php.net/manual/en/book.sockets.php sockets] – Implements a
low-level interface to the socket communication functions based on the
popular BSD sockets.
And, finally, a recommendation we did some time ago:
the-php-intl-extension/ Why hosters should install the PHP-intl extension]
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56017#comment:1>
WordPress Trac <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/>
WordPress publishing platform
More information about the wp-trac