[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52361: Twenty Twenty-One: "Continue Reading" link will only show if there is minimum amount of text before the "Read More" block

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 22 05:48:06 UTC 2022

#52361: Twenty Twenty-One: "Continue Reading" link will only show if there is
minimum amount of text before the "Read More" block
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  mrfoxtalbot    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by poena):

 Hi!
 I don't believe that this is a theme issue, and I suggest closing this
 issue.

 The More block is the equivalent of the {{{<!-- more}}} tag, whish is only
 displayed with the_content, not the_excerpt.
 Please see https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_excerpt
 /#comparison-with-the-more-quicktag
 Source where the {{{<!-- more}}} tag is added:
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/trunk/packages/block-
 library/src/more/save.js#L11

 I believe the description of the block can be miss leading:
 ''Content before this block will be shown in the excerpt on your archives
 page.''
 Because this is only true if that archive page shows the full content,
 then the text displays as a custom excerpt.
 It is easy to see how users may have different expectations!

 == 5.7:
 On the blog, the more block will always show in Twenty Nineteen, because
 the theme shows the post content, not the excerpt.

 But it will only show in Twenty Twenty or Twenty Twenty-One if their theme
 options are set to display ''full content.''
 That is regardless of the length of the content before the more block.

 In screenshot two of Twenty Twenty-One above, where the ''...Continue
 reading'' text is immediately after the content, and not on a separate
 line: I would like to point out that this is not the block, but the themes
 own continue reading function. You can test that on a longer post that
 does not have the block.

 == 6.0:
 A **new** read more block was added to WordPress in version 6.0. The new
 block only adds a link, it does not hide content that comes after it.
 Whether it shows depends on if the theme is set up to show the full
 content or the excerpt. If I understand correctly that is because the
 excerpt filters blocks (images etc) and only shows text.
 For example, it will always show in Twenty Nineteen, but will only show in

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52361#comment:4>