[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55717: aria-hidden="true" attribute in comment template for visible text (required fields)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 29 15:23:37 UTC 2022

#55717: aria-hidden="true" attribute in comment template for visible text (required
fields)
---------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  juliemoynat                |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by joedolson):

 I think that we should leave the asterisk unmarked up. While it is an
 information-bearing symbol, it's not unique information: screen readers
 will also learn that the fields are required because they are marked as
 required in the HTML. We shouldn't attempt to override user preferences
 for verbosity by forcing the symbol to be communicated regardless of the
 user's settings.

 If a user has verbosity configured so that they hear punctuation, they
 will hear it. If they don't, they won't - and to me, that's the correct
 behavior, since the information in the punctuation isn't necessary to
 operate or understand the interface.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55717#comment:15>