[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39286: Standardizing actions and filters for adding, getting, setting, updating, and deleting options and transients

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 21 14:33:56 UTC 2022

#39286: Standardizing actions and filters for adding, getting, setting, updating,
and deleting options and transients
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  NathanAtmoz         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 Consistent patterns make for happy developers, and I am in agreement with
 you here @NathanAtmoz. These functions and their hooks are an opportunity
 for improvement that I have personally experienced myself multiple-
 multiple times. I always end up digging into the code to make sure I'm
 using the right hooks in the right ways.

 I do not feel strongly about the `pre_`, `post_`, or `present/past` tenses
 for hook naming. `before` & `after` are also sometimes used (and probably
 are my preference these days) because they remove ambiguity with "post"
 which is used all over the place for other things. (I know you didn't
 suggest `post_` here, but it goes along with `pre_` so I'm just mentioning
 it for the sake of...)

 The other thing that crosses my mind (once we start wanting to create a
 pattern for calling multiple hooks in a consistent way) is if this may
 also be an opportunity to redefine the problem and determine if a new API
 makes sense to encapsulate the routine code being written, or at least
 solidly eliminate that possibility. Let's not use the actions & filters
 APIs ''only'' because they already exist, and make sure they are the
 correct or best approach. And/or, is it DRY'able, etc...

 Thanks @NathanAtmoz for this first ticket of yours. I know it's a few
 years old now, but it is on my mind!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39286#comment:1>