[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55077: Explain the purpose of input fields like title and description when editing media

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 20 14:36:02 UTC 2022

#55077: Explain the purpose of input fields like title and description when editing
media
-------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  jameskoster  |       Owner:  antpb
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by antpb):

 * status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  6.1 =>

Comment:

 Given the fact that the description and caption render in different ways
 for different themes (and sometimes not at all) we discussed in the recent
 Media meeting that this may not be an enhancement that helps the media
 editing experience due to the dynamic ways these fields are used.
 Describing them in the media library also adds more text to an already
 admittedly confusing experience.

 It's worth noting a point @joedolson mentioned in the meeting that the
 reason that the alt description is given so much attention in this modal
 is because the alt tag is literally the representation of the image when
 visually viewing a post is not possible.

 With the above considered, we have decided to mark this ticket wontfix. If
 there are any objections please feel free to leave a comment. :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55077#comment:10>