[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56244: Use a consistent parameter name for functions accepting a comment ID or object

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 20 14:14:56 UTC 2022

#56244: Use a consistent parameter name for functions accepting a comment ID or
object
----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  SergeyBiryukov  |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:5 peterwilsoncc]:
 > Something I hit working on a plugin is that sometimes `$comment_ID` is
 subsequently used in a `compact()` for functions taking an array of
 arguments.

 > This makes the case of the ID important for backward compatibility.

 Thanks! Yes, the intention here is to fully maintain backward
 compatibility.

 I've been thinking about opening another ticket for normalizing other
 parameters in the same way as it was done for `user_ID` → `user_id` in
 [12267], [12300], and [28915]:

 * `comment_ID` → `comment_id`
 * `comment_post_ID` → `comment_post_id`
 * `comment_author_IP` → `comment_author_ip`

 Then any combination of these parameters would work regardless of the
 case.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56244#comment:9>