[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54956: [5.9] wp_block_type args - "style" and "script" are always loaded on Frontend

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 19 13:58:22 UTC 2022

#54956: [5.9] wp_block_type args - "style" and "script" are always loaded on
Frontend
 Reporter:  pkostadinov                          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
  tests                                          |
Changes (by pkostadinov):

 * keywords:  reporter-feedback =>
     has-screenshots 2nd-opinion changes-requested needs-patch needs-unit-
     tests
 * component:  Editor => Script Loader

Comment:

 My suggestion is to do something about this filter
 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/should_load_separate_core_block_assets/
 (it's default value is "false") :
 - it's name misleads that it affects only core blocks, while it affects
 custom blocks as well
 - in my opinion filters should affect all types of blocks, and should not
 be meant for core blocks only
 - this filter name suggests it does something different that it actually
 does
 - if I have to name the filter based on what it does right now, it would
 be called "should_load_all_registered_block_assets" - and because it's the
 oposite meaning of the original filter any uses of it in the core should
 be reversed (!). And it's default value should be false, since you do want
 to load only required assets, not all that are registered.
 - based on @hellofromTonya testing, it's possible that it affects core
 blocks correctly, and it may be unintended and untested side effect that
 it affects custom blocks, and that it essentially breaks the expected
 behaivior. Alternatively this filter could be patched to not affect custom
 blocks.
 - also it would be amazing if someone manages to create unit tests that
 catch exactly this issue - assets for custom blocks being loaded only when
 the custom block is used on the page.

 This issue is still relevant in 6.0 and 6.0.1 core versions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54956#comment:8>