[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56247: Page editor for the page assigned as Front Page does not indicate this status

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 19 00:42:55 UTC 2022

#56247: Page editor for the page assigned as Front Page does not indicate this
status
 Reporter:  wolfpaw       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes        |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, template  |
 This is an issue that has existed in WordPress prior to FSE, when a front
 page PHP template or widget based homepages were used in themes.

 The issue appears more egregious however, now that FSE is intended to
 allow editing of all portions of the site.

 If I have a static page set to the front page of the site, my expectation
 is that clicking "Edit Page" in the admin bar would take me to the page
 that displays that content. Instead, when a theme has a front page
 template, I am seeing content that will not display on the actual site
 frontend.

 My suggestion is some form of notice to the user that they are not editing
 in the actual place that content is displayed. They could also be taken
 directly to the front page template of the "Edit Site" portion of the
 dashboard.

 I imagine that there would be a variety of edge cases to work around here,
 as well as related issues such as opening the editor to the proper
 template, as suggested in #56246