[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56236: Multisite 6.0.1: Upgrade network stops if it can’t resolve a particular site

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 17 05:12:40 UTC 2022

#56236: Multisite 6.0.1: Upgrade network stops if it can’t resolve a particular
site
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  mauricev2        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  6.0
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 In upgrading to 6.0.1 from 5.4.2, the initial part of the upgrade
 proceeds, so I am assuming the upgrade network portion is being directed
 by 6.0.1 code.

 First, this step, the Upgrade Network, is not obvious and not automatic.
 If it is skipped by accident, the user could end up with a partially
 upgraded site and not know it.

 Second, Upgrade Network proceeds in reverse alphabetical order across all
 the sites in the multisite environment. If it comes to a site whose name
 doesn’t resolve for whatever reason, it simply stops the upgrade process.
 I had to manually remove these unused sites and load the page again to
 make the Upgrade Network option reappear and then rerun it.

 Both of these bugs should be fixed. The upgrade in multisite should be an
 atomic operation. It either proceeds 100% or not at all. Second, it
 shouldn’t be checking whether a given site is online or not. Who cares?