[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21082: The Gallery shortcode relies on #gallery-instance to hook the CSS, but the id sometimes isn't specific enough

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 12 17:24:31 UTC 2022

#21082: The Gallery shortcode relies on #gallery-instance to hook the CSS, but the
id sometimes isn't specific enough
-------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  matveb                   |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  closed
Changes (by desrosj):

 * status:  accepted => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 I'm going to close this out as a `wontfix`.

 A [https://wpdirectory.net/search/01G7SPRYX30WYTFAHT358WY7JN search of the
 theme directory today] returns 271 occurrences of `#gallery-1` in 112
 themes. Unfortunately I think this is just something we'll need to live
 with to maintain backwards compatibility in themes.

 Additionally, with the introduction of the block editor and full site
 editing, shortcodes (though still supported) are no longer the recommended
 way to display a gallery.

 This has been solved in the gallery block. IDs are no longer used, and a
 `.wp-block-gallery` class is applied to the `<figure>` tag wrapping the
 gallery images.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21082#comment:12>