[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22837: WP Needs to Set "Sender" and "Reply-To" or DKIM/DMARC will not work using wp-mail (via PHPMailer)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 11 17:44:49 UTC 2022

#22837: WP Needs to Set "Sender" and "Reply-To" or DKIM/DMARC will not work using
wp-mail (via PHPMailer)
-------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  kellogg9                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                   |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => needs-patch close 2nd-opinion
 * milestone:   => Awaiting Review

Comment:

 I came across this one going through a list of tickets that have lost
 their milestone at some point. Re-adding one to help surface this one in
 reports.

 I'm not sure how I'd go about testing this issue locally, but here are a
 few thoughts.

 PHPMailer has undergone some big changes since this ticket was created,
 and WordPress is now on the latest version of the library (6.x) after the
 work in #41750. It would be great if someone could test for this issue
 using the latest version of WordPress (6.0 at the time of this comment) to
 see if this problem still exists.

 DKIM is not something configured or used by default for WordPress sites.
 The `wp_mail()` function tries to be as generic as possible to work on as
 many sites as possible, and as far as I can tell, `wp_mail()` does not
 have any considerations for any specific authentication type.

 All this said, I'm leaning towards closing this out as something that
 should be handled by a plugin, or the custom code configuring DKIM in
 PHPMailer.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22837#comment:14>