[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56120: WordPress should add a space character on every possible "wrap point" in a post title when building "html title", "og:title" and so on

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 1 20:39:26 UTC 2022

#56120: WordPress should add a space character on every possible "wrap point" in a
post title when building "html title", "og:title" and so on
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  pezcurrel    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by sabernhardt):

 * keywords:   => 2nd-opinion
 * component:  General => Formatting

Comment:

 If the title has a line break element without a space, that would affect
 the URL slug, too.

 However, if I add spaces,
 `First line <br>second line <br>third line`
 results in a title of
 `<title>First line second line third line – Example Site</title>`
 and a URL of
 `https://example.com/first-line-second-line-third-line/`

 To be thorough, the line break could match `<br` (the tag might be `<br>`,
 `<br/>` or `<br />`—and it could have an attribute).

 I added '2nd-opinion' because I think there might be a reason not to make
 this change for everyone, but I have not thought of an example of an
 inappropriate case (perhaps in another language). Ideally, users would add
 the spaces as needed and get them in the heading as well as the title and
 URL, though this is a predictable thing to correct.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/56120#comment:1>