[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52710: Taxonomy: Make it possible to bypass automatic caching of results in `get_terms()`

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 24 05:00:42 UTC 2022

#52710: Taxonomy: Make it possible to bypass automatic caching of results in
`get_terms()`
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  dlh                         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new

Comment (by dlh):

 Replying to [comment:6 spacedmonkey]:
 > If the argument for this ticket, that because terms get invalidated all
 the time, that WordPress should not both to cache? I am not sure I under
 the logic of that. For my blog for example, I don't update the site that
 much, so caches would be warned and used lots on post / page loads. We
 can't control how many times user update their site, but we can't try and
 cache the best we can. What value does not storing caches have? Not
 filling up an object cache?

 No, I don't think the argument is that WordPress shouldn't bother to
 cache, but instead that there might be situations in which this particular
 caching behavior could be counterproductive, and it would nice to be able
 to control it and measure the effect of bypassing it.

 For your blog and sites like it, I agree, the proposal in this ticket
 would probably be unnecessary. The sites that I have in mind are sites
 that publish new content several times an hour, as well as networks of
 tens or hundreds such sites.

 For those sites, we can't control how often they update a site, but we can
 estimate how often they will. And, yes: In my experience, at least, every
 network request to the object cache and cached object that takes up space
 without being used has an effect on the performance of the site or sites,
 and so the value is in reducing those.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52710#comment:9>