[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54882: Allow to install/activate themes/plugin which require the next WordPress version

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 22 11:19:54 UTC 2022

#54882: Allow to install/activate themes/plugin which require the next WordPress
version
----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90         |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Plugins         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+--------------------
 I have noticed this while creating a plugin to disable the login language
 switcher. As it's a feature introduced in 5.9 I have set the minimum
 required WP version to 5.9. Unfortunately with that setup it's not
 possible to test the plugin with any a beta or RC release, see attached
 screenshot.
 The same came up after the version was bumped for Twenty Twenty-Two in
 [52614]. The "fix" was to skip the tests in [52617].

 Im proposing to change `is_wp_version_compatible()` to remove any custom
 suffixes to ensure `version_compare()` can do its job right.
 While `is_wp_version_compatible()` was introduced in 5.2, the use of the
 function in the list tables was added in [51678].

 Note: If you think "why not set the required version to 5.9-alpha", this
 isn't supported, see [meta7874].

 Set the milestone to 5.9.1 since it's probably too late for 5.9 although
 it would allow us to revert [52617].