[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54876: WP fails to recognize and use Imagick PHP 8 module on OpenLiteSpeed / Litespeed Web Server

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 21 16:23:13 UTC 2022

#54876: WP fails to recognize and use Imagick PHP 8 module on OpenLiteSpeed /
Litespeed Web Server
 Reporter:  luboslives    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Media         |    Version:  5.8.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hi, I've made a ticket with the LiteSpeed people but they insist that
 their version of PHP (LSPHP) is a like-for-like copy of the PHP binaries,
 only hosted in their own repos. So it seems this error may be on the
 WordPress side.

 I'll first refer you to this support thread to show I'm not the only one
 with this problem: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/imagick-module-
 recognized-but-not-used/

 In short, WordPress does not recognize the Imagick module in LSPHP 8, so
 it will not use it and defaults to WP_Image_Editor_GD as its image editor.
 It has no problems detecting and using it in an Apache environment where I
 used PHP 8 from the CentOS repos. It also has no problem using the LSPHP
 7.4 version either.

 Here's a breakdown of the results:

 **Apache 2.4.37 with PHP 8.0.14**
 Custom Image Processing with WP_Image_Editor_Imagick = **Success**
 ImageMagick version number = 1692
 ImageMagick version string = ImageMagick 6.9.12-34 Q16 x86_64 2021-12-22
 Imagick version = 3.7.0

 **OpenLiteSpeed 1.7.14 with LSPHP 7.4.26**
 Custom Image Processing with WP_Image_Editor_Imagick = **Success**
 ImageMagick version number = 1690
 ImageMagick version string = ImageMagick 6.9.10-86 Q16 x86_64 2020-01-13
 Imagick version = 3.4.4

 **OpenLiteSpeed 1.7.14 with LSPHP 8.0.12**
 Custom Image Processing with WP_Image_Editor_Imagick = **Error** (see
 notes*)
 ImageMagick version number = 1690
 ImageMagick version string = ImageMagick 6.9.10-86 Q16 x86_64 2020-01-13
 Imagick version = **@PACKAGE_VERSION@**

 ***Notes:** Active editor is listed as WP_Image_Editor_GD. WordPress fails
 to recognize and use the Imagick extension. Custom image processing fails
 as it tries to run Imagick methods through the GD class.

 All environments are running on Rocky Linux release 8.5.