[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54836: Huge error logs filled with "WordPress database error Illegal mix of collations" errors caused by spammers

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 16 23:18:57 UTC 2022

#54836: Huge error logs filled with "WordPress database error Illegal mix of
collations" errors caused by spammers
 Reporter:  jh20001       |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by jh20001):

 Replying to [comment:1 audrasjb]:
 > Hello @jh20001 welcome to WordPress Core Trac and thank you for opening
 this ticket,

 > Based on the error logs you shared, it looks like you have different
 types of collations in your database. I think it is not something you
 should have on default and recent WordPress install.

 > However, I’ll let WP DB component maintainers give a detailed answer on
 the issue and the related fix, and for now I'll just remove the `5.8.3`
 version as this wasn't introduced in the last version of WordPress.

 These errors shouldn't even be displayed as none of that content exists on
 the site. It's all spammed content coming from somewhere external
 displayed in order to gain fake search results with their spam on other
 people's domain. Notice how it is all medicine, adult, and other forms of
 random spam being trying to trick the site into displaying via error
 screens or the search system.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54836#comment:2>