[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54829: Allow classic themes to be optionally block themes if 'templates' and 'parts' folders exists

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 16 11:25:17 UTC 2022

#54829: Allow classic themes to be optionally block themes if 'templates' and
'parts' folders exists
----------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  exstheme                                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                             |      Status:  new

Comment (by exstheme):

 Dear @poena !

 Yes, I agree that maintaining theme that has ability to be 'block theme'
 and 'classic theme' at the same time depending of user settings is harder
 than maintaining one of them. But it will be easier than maintain two
 separate themes:
 - No need to register and maintain new site for the new theme.
 - No need to create a new Brand for new theme.
 - No need to promote new theme separately.
 - No need to seek new customers for the new theme.
 - Etc.

 And for customers that already has trust for theme that they know will be
 less scary than using absolutely new theme.

 I guess that this is a smooth way to transition from the classic to the
 block theme.

 And according to unused files, as we can see - block theme requires very
 small amount of HTML files - nothing more. So there will not be huge
 amount of unnecessary files.

 And both of versions can share same color schemes, block patterns and
 block styles - which is good.

 Thank you for your opinion and your attention to this ticked!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54829#comment:10>