[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54971: Theme Details button cursor does not match cursor when hovering over screenshot

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 4 18:20:35 UTC 2022

#54971: Theme Details button cursor does not match cursor when hovering over
screenshot
 Reporter:  multidots1896            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new
  patch                              |  css, administration

Comment (by ryokuhi):

 In general, I would support the idea that each HTML element uses the
 native cursor, without changes.

 In this specific case, however, there's also a consistency problem.
 - When you hover each "theme card", the cursor takes the pointer shape
 (i.e. the hand one).
 - When you hover the button of each "theme card", the cursor takes the
 default shape (i.e. the arrow one).
 - However, clicking opens the Theme Details dialog in both cases.

 I think that using two different cursor shapes to get the same outcome may
 be confusing (if I see a change in the pointer, I expect different actions
 to happen on click). As such, it would probably be better change either
 cursor and use a single one.
 My personal preference would be to use the default shape on the entire
 "theme card" and use this as a first step to solving #47171, but the
 quickest and most consistent solution across the entire WordPress
 interface would probably be to use the pointer shape also for the button.
 I'm open to both solutions, let's see if others have an opinion.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54971#comment:4>