[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP 5.9

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 2 13:10:44 UTC 2022

#55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP
5.9
 Reporter:  Kuuuzya                              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by stevenjaycohen):

 Hey @Kuuuzya can you jump over to your Installed Themes and see if
 everything that was installed BEFORE the v5.9 upgrade is still there now?

 I had exactly the same issue as you describe. My site is powered by a
 child of the Twenty Twenty theme. When I checked installed themes, I could
 see 2021. 2022. and my child theme **but no 2020**.

 Wordpress reported my LIVE child theme as broken (of course it was, it
 needed 2020 to function).

 Wordpress also THOUGHT that 2020 was installed when I went to try and
 reinstall it from the New Theme Selector.

 So, to fix it, I needed to install 2020 old school (FTPing it to the right
 folder).

 Once the 2020 theme was in place, the issues resolved themselves.

 ''So, the issues you and I found seem to be caused by:
 ''1. v5.9 **DELETING A THEME** in some cases
 2, The WordPress site **REFUSING TO ALLOW THE REINSTALL OF A THEME**
 because it thinks the theme is still installed

 The **WORKAROUND** is:
 Reinstall the missing theme **MANUALLY** (FTP/etc)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55019#comment:1>