[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP 5.9

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 1 06:06:16 UTC 2022

#55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP
5.9
 Reporter:  Kuuuzya      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
  (bug)                  |
Component:  Post         |    Version:  5.9
  Thumbnails             |   Keywords:  needs-patch needs-testing has-
 Severity:  major        |  screenshots
  Focuses:               |
 Hello. With the update to WordPress 5.9, I discovered one significant
 inconvenience. I read all the descriptions, searched the forum, but did
 not find how to solve a problem. The only way, which is working now – to
 log out, delete all cookies for the website in the browser, log in back
 and edit ONE post. For the second post, the problem is back and I need to
 log out and delete cookies again.

 And yes, the problem occur even when I deactivate all plugins and use the
 default theme.

 [[Image(https://i.ibb.co/0KSmCXK/2022-02-01-08-56-27.png)]]

 The point is that my theme (like many others) is designed to be used with
 Featured Image. Previously, it was in the right column in the admin panel,
 where I can select a picture and the theme displayed as the cover of the
 post. Also, there was a list with categories, but now it's empty.

 [[Image(https://i.ibb.co/Br330Hp/2022-02-01-08-57-14.png)]]

 And of course, I have a lot of categories. And no, I can't activate the
 Featured image in settings, cause there is NO such setting in the
 preferences. Sorry for the Russian language on the screens, but you can
 see that these elements just don't exist.

 [[Image(https://i.ibb.co/9nFgYcH/2022-02-01-08-56-54.png)]]

 Now I need to add a block in the text itself with the Featured Image. But
 the problem is that the theme takes a picture from this block and puts it
 on the cover. Plus, because I inserted the image into the text, it appears
 in the text as well. I end up with a duplicate image on the page.

 I think this is very strange. Please, fix it, cause I can't work with the
 5.9 :( We need to spend doubled time on 1 post. Thank you in advance.