[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56352: Docs: Clarify that `register_taxonomy()` only accepts lowercase values for the `$taxonomy` parameter

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Aug 8 21:18:12 UTC 2022

#56352: Docs: Clarify that `register_taxonomy()` only accepts lowercase values for
the `$taxonomy` parameter
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  audrasjb      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Taxonomy      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  good-first-bug
  Focuses:  docs          |
--------------------------+----------------------------
 This issue was pointed out by @bengreeley in a DevHub User Contributed
 note:

 > Both register_taxonomy() and register_post_type() have a known bug where
 the taxonomy or post type name needs to be lowercase to work properly (see
 #16600).

 > This page mentions lowercase [JB: `register_taxonomy` devhub page] in
 'Additional Parameter Information', which is buried a bit deeper on the
 page. I'd recommend to update this page to include language such as "may
 only contain lowercase alphanumeric characters" in the main parameter
 section for $taxonomy, similar to the way it's added for
 register_post_type() at
 https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/register_post_type/

 > Since using anything but uppercase can lead to serious issues that have
 yet to be resolved I think making this more obvious would be beneficial to
 the end user.