[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55985: [Older Twenty-* Themes] Replace directly loading fonts from Google Fonts with including them in each theme

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Aug 1 17:11:15 UTC 2022

#55985: [Older Twenty-* Themes] Replace directly loading fonts from Google Fonts
with including them in each theme
---------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  luminuu        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement    |      Status:  new

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:35 paapst]:
 > Replying to [comment:32 luehrsen]:
 > > We're getting noticed, that users in Germany are still getting these
 100€ E-Mails for using Google Fonts in themes.

 > > I would therefore love to have some more eyes on this ticket as this
 directly affects the core WordPress audience in Germany.

 > At this moment this is a 6.1 ticket. I think that means that until at
 least the 25th of October nothing will change.  Beta 1 testing will start
 at the end of September. Until then, German users can change their theme
 or use one of the other solutions mentioned here: https://complianz.io
 /self-hosting-google-fonts-for-wordpress/

 A suggestion: explore releasing the updated version of each theme
 separately from WordPress 6.1 release.

 When each theme is ready, release it to wp.org's theme repo. Users can
 then update to get locally hosted fonts ahead of when WP 6.1 is released.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55985#comment:36>