[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42957: Usernames ending in a period generate invalid reset password links in certain email clients

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 29 05:59:01 UTC 2022

#42957: Usernames ending in a period generate invalid reset password links in
certain email clients
 Reporter:  paulcline                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  hellofromTonya
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by daveagp):

 Hi, what investigation is needed exactly? I would love to get this fixed
 ASAP.

 Why is this code needed? Gmail auto-hyperlinking ignores periods at the
 end of plaintext links.

 Why does it do this? My understanding is that it's a combination of two
 accessibility features:

 (1) Gmail automatically turns plaintext links into hyperlinks. So you can
 click on even plaintext links, instead of copying and pasting.

 (2) It assumes that if someone writes a plaintext link with a period at
 the end, it's meant as punctuation. E.g. "To blog, go to wordpress.com."
 The implied link is not wordpress.com. but it is wordpress.com instead.

 The proposed fix changes the wordpress-generated plaintext link to one
 which doesn't fall into this accessibility interpretation. Of course,
 nothing is currently broken for people who copy-and-paste the URL, but
 this is not what most people do (can confirm as, in my volunteer role for
 cscircles.cemc.uwaterloo.ca I get lots of support requests from teachers
 and students who are running into this deficit).

 I happen to work at Google (not on gmail) but if that is what is needed to
 move this forward I can even  try to get any specific questions you have
 answered from folks working on gmail.

 Thanks!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42957#comment:23>