[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47018: No error message provided upon incomplete input in Tags Administration Screen

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 7 10:05:50 UTC 2022

#47018: No error message provided upon incomplete input in Tags Administration
Screen
 Reporter:  conner_bw                |       Owner:  peterwilsoncc
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  reopened
  validation has-patch               |  javascript, administration
Changes (by afercia):

 * keywords:  has-screenshots input-validation has-patch needs-testing =>
     has-screenshots input-validation has-patch
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 @peterwilsoncc thanks for your review and commit. I'm going to reopen this
 ticket because there are a few things I'd like to bring in for some better
 consideration.

 1
 > removed the new `wp-a11y` dependency for inclusion in #55537.

 The `ajax-response.js` script already contains two calls to
 `wp.a11y.speak`. They were added in a previous commit, see [52170].
 However, that change missed to add the `wp-a11y` dependency. That's unsafe
 and should be fixed. There's no guarantee that #55537 will make it for
 6.0. The dependency should have been kept or at least a new ticket should
 have been created.

 2
 > `validateForm` is used throughout the admin so trimming could cause
 false errors on other forms

 I'm not sure that's correct. In core, there are two JavaScript functions
 named `validateForm`:
 - `window.validateForm` in `common.js`
 - `window.wpAjax.validateForm` in `ajax-response.js`

 The first one is used here in `tags.js`. I couldn't find any other usage
 in core. I think it's safe to add `trim()`. If we don't, submitting the
 form with the 'Name' field that contains only spaces will display an admin
 notice at the top of the page but the red border will not be added to the
 input field. I'm not sure that would be a good experience for users. See
 attached screenshot.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47018#comment:27>