[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54070: Increase CPT "machine name" limit from its current maximum of 20 characters.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 16 15:19:26 UTC 2021

#54070: Increase CPT "machine name" limit from its current maximum of 20
characters.
 Reporter:  taupecat                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  new
  has-unit-tests                                 |  standards

Comment (by taupecat):

 Replying to [comment:9 ocean90]:
 > We already have a ticket for this request in #37104 which was closed as
 maybelater. A similar one is #39507, closed as wontfix.

 > Could you provide some real use cases where a longer post type name
 would be required?

 Wow, okay, this is out of left field.

 I [posed the question on
 Twitter](https://twitter.com/taupecat/status/1433424418978492423) recently
 as to why the 20 character limit. Both the blog post referenced by a
 ticket you pointed and other research done by @zodiac1978 indicated that
 the 20 character limit (down from 100) was an attempt to improve database
 performance which ended up having no appreciable effect at the time. ''And
 that was 15 years ago.''

 So maybe the question should be, what was the use case to bring it down
 from 100 to 20 in the first place, and why did that limit stay in effect
 when it didn't accomplish the stated goal?

 Among the responses to my Twitter post were [comments from
 @markjaquith](https://twitter.com/markjaquith/status/1433431774965624848)
 and others indicating that the limit ''should'' be raised. So I'm
 proposing a very simple fix to raise it.

 I can't provide ''specific'' use case for increasing the limit other than
 20 characters is unreasonably low when one wants to incorporate sensible
 namespacing in custom post type names, especially when one considers that
 custom taxonomy names have a ''32'' character limit. I've run headlong
 into this limit in previous projects, and have always had to make
 adjustments, sometimes compromising good namespacing practices. This
 ticket is to help developers in the future have a little breathing room so
 that they ''don't'' have to make similar adjustments when adding a
 namespace to their custom post type names.

 I'm willing to do the (rather minimal) work here, and I saw the comment
 that the Codex will need an update patch which I will submit as soon as I
 can spare a few minutes to do that.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54070#comment:11>