[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically readjust it to become aa.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 9 19:18:17 UTC 2021

#54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically
readjust it to become aa.
------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  paaljoachim                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by knutsp):

 Replying to [comment:9 paaljoachim]:
 > If I write Norwegian with an English keyboard I would use the aa instead
 of å.

 Good point, and this was mentioned back then. Also international standards
 on the field. However, writing is slightly different than slugs, as
 distinguishing between "a" and "å" might feel needed.

 So, it was argued from a conservative point of view, don't change what
 works just fine. That a change was made just for Danish surprised me a
 bit, but that effectively silenced the discussion.

 Small thing. If there is a need on WP for standardization across our
 relatively small Scandinavian languages, "aa" will be just fine by me.

 I have linked to this is in the Norwegian Slack.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54088#comment:11>