[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54305: Transition of block editor width when previewing desktop/tablet/mobile causes multiple resize events (and unnecessary lag)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 21 22:08:34 UTC 2021

#54305: Transition of block editor width when previewing desktop/tablet/mobile
causes multiple resize events (and unnecessary lag)
 Reporter:  askpivot     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 When editing a page, if we click "preview", and then click one of the
 viewport icons at the top (desktop, tablet, mobile), it resizes the
 editor. This is great.

 What is not so great is that it animates (seemingly via javascript) the
 change in width, which causes all the blocks to re-render several times,
 making the process slow and clunky (I am using ACF Blocks). Honestly, it
 makes me avoid using the viewport switcher except when I really need it. I
 believe if the transition was removed, it would only have to fire a single
 resize event. I don’t see any reason why, technically speaking, the
 animation should be necessary.