[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to highlight older updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 15 13:15:36 UTC 2021

#54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to
highlight older updates
 Reporter:  jeherve                  |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  design                             |  administration

Comment (by juliobox):

 >suppose a site is running v2.3 of My Plugin and the most recently
 released update is v2.4. What we'd really need to know is not when v2.4
 was released, but when the version after v2.3 was released (e.g., v2.3.1)
 because what we'd want to convey is how out of date v2.3 is

 My idea is to keep the date from the first update encountered.
 Let's say I'm running a v2.3 and a 2.3.1 is available on 1st jan.
 Then, 1 month later, still not updated, a new v2.3.2 is up.
 I'll be warned to update from 2.3 to 2.3.2 with a timing of 1 month and
 not 1 day.
 Only when I update, my counter for this plugin is reset.

 ----

 Regarding the design, like @jeherve said, we have to use the current noise
 and not add more.
 **So, what do we already have:**
 1/ in **adminbar** with the "update" dashicon + total number of updates
 2/ **admin menu** on index.php, entry "Updates" with the red bubble with
 the total number of updates
 3/ **admin menu** on plugins.php, entry "Installed Plugins" with the red
 bubble with the number of updates
 4/ **admin menu** on themes.php, entry "Themes" with the red bubble with
 the number of updates
 5/ **Notices** with "''WordPress vx.x.x is available! Please update
 now.''"

 So we can reuse everything, we can just modify.

 **Here comes my ideas:**
 0/ First (yes I use 0 for first, I'm a dev you know), we could change the
 usual red color depending on how many days the update is available. Let's
 say "blue for < 7 days", "orange for < 21 days" and "red > 21 days", we
 can change that, not a big deal now.
 1/ in adminbar the background of the menu entry could be colored like said
 in 0/ and a mouseover displays the most critical timing. Ho, the color
 will match the most critical update, so if I have a plugin update since 1
 day and a core since 16, it will be orange. ''see 54265-adminbar.png''
 2,3,4/ change the color to match the most critical update timer
 5/ More accurate message and color. ''see 54265-notices.png''

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54265#comment:7>