[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54258: post_type query parameter added to url causes incorrect type search results (5.8.1)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 13 19:26:11 UTC 2021

#54258: post_type query parameter added to url causes incorrect type search results
(5.8.1)
 Reporter:  arestelle     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  5.8.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I was testing the upgrade to 5.8.1 (from 5.7.3) on a copy of my (Lightsail
 /Bitnami-hosted) live instance and found that after upgrading to 5.8.1, a
 `post_type=<type>` parameter is added to the URL when I navigate away from
 a page that displays posts from one of my custom post types. This happens
 whether or not I update plugins and themes.

 E.g. I visit `/photographs`, then click to go to `/quotes`;
 `post_type=photos` gets added to the URL (i.e.
 `/quotes/?post_type=photos`) and it continues displaying photographs
 instead of quotes.

 This happens both with my custom post types defined through the CPT plugin
 and with the ones I've defined in my own code. The parameter is not added
 when navigating away from standard post results.

 Even if the parameter didn't interfere with the website's behavior, it
 would be a bug, as it's adding unnecessary and unwanted clutter to my
 URLs, but it does interfere and is a breaking change.