[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54229: Make dashboard widget control submit text filterable or change to "Save changes"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 6 22:28:08 UTC 2021

#54229: Make dashboard widget control submit text filterable or change to "Save
changes"
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  zodiac1978      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  ui-copy         |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 If a dashboard widget is using a control callback for configuration
 `_wp_dashboard_control_callback` is used.

 In this private function the submit button has a hardcoded "Submit" label.

 As this is a configuration page, I always wondered why this does not use
 the wording "Save changes".

 There is no (easy) way to change this label I am aware of.

 Would it be useful to change this submit button text to "Save changes"? Or
 make this filterable?

 In this context we could use the meta_box id to change the text just for
 one dashboard widget, so that we can remain backwards compatible and do
 not confuse people with changing the text for all dashboard widgets.