[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53450: [WP_Meta_Query] Add faster LIKE based 'STARTSWITH' and 'ENDSWITH' compare modes for value query

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Nov 9 07:29:30 UTC 2021

#53450: [WP_Meta_Query] Add faster LIKE based 'STARTSWITH' and 'ENDSWITH' compare
modes for value query
 Reporter:  janthiel                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
  actually-early                                 |

Comment (by janthiel):

 Good Morning @hellofromTonya,

 can you let me know what is missing to this ticket to make it work? I
 would like to understand what I can do to make it work for at least the
 next release.

 Currently I wouldn't know what else I could do as:
 - The ticket started within the 5.8 release cycle and was completed before
 planing of 5.9 even started
 - There is positive Core Contributor Feedback
 ([https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53450#comment:3 #3],
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53450#comment:9 #9])
 - There is positive DEV Feedback
 ([https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53450#comment:16 #16])
 - There is extensive test coverage around the WP_Query / WP_Meta_Query
 with added positive and negative tests to cover the new queries and asure
 they don't break existing code
 - I pushed this topic several times to the DEV chat agenda

 I totally agree that central code has to be tested thoroughly, but that
 rarely happens only because a ticket is slacking around for longer. So
 following your concerns would also mean that one cannot trust the
 automatic tests. As they should deliver exactly the safety you mentioned.

 As usual I am thankful for your advice on how to proceed here :-)
 Thank you very much and best regards!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53450#comment:21>