[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54400: Show "Add New" title buttons on single-site Plugins/Themes pages for capable users in multisite

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 8 18:31:15 UTC 2021

#54400: Show "Add New" title buttons on single-site Plugins/Themes pages for
capable users in multisite
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  (none)
  johnjamesjacoby        |
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:               |    Version:  3.0
  Administration         |   Keywords:  needs-patch needs-screenshots 2nd-
 Severity:  normal       |  opinion
  Focuses:  multisite    |
 On multisite installations, when viewing a single site's admin area – as a
 Network Admin (or otherwise capable user) – none of the "Add New" links
 for Plugins & Themes are displayed.

 I would like to re-add these buttons back, but have them link to the
 correct Network Admin pages.

 At first scan, not having these buttons on single sites makes sense
 because it is not possible to add a new plugin or theme at the site level.

 After having this be the default behaviour since WordPress 3.0, I think it
 could be improved.

 Conceptually, the problem isn't that installing plugins or themes is no
 longer possible in multisite, it is simply that the location and
 capabilities required to do so are elevated from single-site.

 If the currently logged in user can access those locations ''and'' has the
 capability to perform the task, it would be convenient to re-show these
 buttons but link them to the network URLs.

 To replicate:
 * Log into a multisite installation as a Network Admin
 * Visit `/wp-admin/plugins.php`
 * Notice there is no "Add New" link or button anywhere
 * The only UI path to add a plugin is: `Admin Bar > My Sites > Network
 Admin > Plugins > Add New`

 (Themes has the same above issue & relative navigation...)