[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54229: Make dashboard widget control submit text filterable or change to "Save changes"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 4 21:31:26 UTC 2021

#54229: Make dashboard widget control submit text filterable or change to "Save
changes"
-------------------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  zodiac1978                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                    |      Status:  new

Comment (by zodiac1978):

 > Removing commit keyword as 54229.1.diff​ does not address the 3
 instances in Core.

 I think there is some typos involved here:

 > The second dashboard.php occurrence is relevant in this case
 > The setup-config.php occurrence is relevant in this case

 I think there is a "not" missing.

 > Block editor buttons need to be updated upstream on GitHub

 The occurrences in Gutenberg shouldn't be changed IMHO.

 > wp-includes/js/dist/block-editor.js:34172
 > wp-includes/js/dist/block-editor.js:35432

 These two are from the URL input modal for links in paragraphs or in
 buttons, therefore changing it to "Save changes" does not make sense as
 there are submitting a search or input and do not save a setting.

 > wp-admin/setup-config.php:252

 This is from the installation process and submits the settings (database
 credentials, table prefix) and although these are saved, I think "Save
 changes" is not useful in this case.

 > wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php:245
 > wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php:1374

 The first one is the generic dashboard widget control callback and as a
 control item I think "Save changes" makes more sense here. I want to
 change the setting for a dashboard widget and therefore change the
 settings for it. Just using "Submit" is not specific enough IMHO.

 The second one is submitting the location for the event widget. As this is
 just one field, "submitting" the location feels fine for me. "Save
 changes" doesn't really fit here because of the plural ("changes").

 This leaves us with just the already fixed occurrence for the widget
 control callback.

 Adding a context gives us the opportunity to change the string in other
 languages for this occurrence without changing it elsewhere. But this
 still leaves the English button with "Submit" where "Save changes" makes
 much more sense as this is what is happening.

 @hellofromTonya I don't think adding a filter is providing enough value
 here. I would recommend to just go with the latest patch as @audrasjb
 says.

--