[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54361: Multisite: Confusion for average users when a blog is a mapped domain and requires re-authentication

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Nov 2 09:31:05 UTC 2021

#54361: Multisite: Confusion for average users when a blog is a mapped domain and
requires re-authentication
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  henry.wright        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 If domain mapping is active for a blog in a network install, users of that
 blog must re-authenticate when visiting that blog because the domain is
 likely to be different from the host install domain.

 Mapped domains appear in the My Sites list. When a user visits their blogs
 in the list it is confusing for them to be asked to re-authenticate for
 blog A (mapped domain) and not be asked to re-authenticate for blog B (not
 a mapped domain).

 An average user isn't familiar with the cookie authentication mechanism
 and would find it frustrating to authenticate multiple times which is, to
 the average user, seemingly unnecessary.

 How do we make this process clear or easier?