[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44511: Widgets generated by wp_register_sidebar_widget can not be add via customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 30 18:01:55 UTC 2021

#44511: Widgets generated by wp_register_sidebar_widget can not be add via
customizer
---------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  bastho         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:   => needs-testing
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 5.8

Comment:

 There is some logic in the old customize widgets class to address "single"
 (as opposed to "multi") widgets. However, it sounds like that may have
 broken at some point.

 Now that widgets are replaced with blocks in 5.8, we need to confirm that
 "single" widgets "still" work. If they do, then this can likely be closed
 as fixed in 5.8. If they don't but we can confirm they were broken on 5.7
 also, then this can maybe move to Future Release.

 Given that the block inserter replaces the add-widgets panel in the
 customizer, this would probably need to be fixed with 5.8 as the widgets
 screen would also be broken now. Another option would be to formally
 deprecate "single" widgets.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44511#comment:1>